Monday, July 21, 2008

Of Bubble Wrap And Batman

What is it about bubble wrap that makes me love it so much? For starters, I love it that you don’t ever have to focus single-mindedly on bubble wrap to love it I mean, with other things you kind of have to. Like when I’m listening to some song, it has to be just that song that’s playing in my mind for me to really love it. Or when I’m playing FIFA or watching something on TV, there can’t be any music that’s playing because it’s sort of a distraction. It’s not that I can’t do both things simultaneously (I’m not that impaired), but for me to really like something, I have to concentrate on that.

But, with bubble wrap it’s completely different. I could be watching anything on TV, with bubble wrap in my hands. But my lips unknowingly break into a smile whenever I hear the familiar popping sound, signaling the death of an air bubble. Every single time. I mean, you could give me this humungous sheet of bubble wrap and I would still smile at every individual pop, all the while never taking my eyes or mind off the TV. I’m not too sure about its functional utility though. If I wrap myself in it and jump off a five-storey building, would I survive? (That is one of the unanswerable questions I want to find the answer to). But, I really don’t care. If I ever become a superhero, my costume would be made entirely of bubble wrap.

Speaking of superheroes, I watched ‘The Dark Knight’. It is unbelievable. Usually, when I’m describing something I’ve enjoyed, the adjective ‘unbelievable’ is the be-all and the end-all. But, here, it’s not enough. I mean, they could have ended the movie at intermission, and it would still have been the best movie ever. But I’m glad they didn’t. Because the second half proves what I had realized after watching ‘The Prestige’ – Christopher Nolan is a genius. How he wrote the story, I cannot fathom. How he dared to twist and distort the conventional superhero storyline is beyond me.I think I just said this, but I’ll say it again – this is like the best movie ever. Heath Ledger gives a performance to die for (pun completely unintended, I’m not that insensitive). But not just him, everyone is brilliant. Even Cillian Murphy in his five second cameo. And I love the way Nolan’s films have these subtle but completely unexpected twists at the end, instead of the usual big fight sequences. The burning cars and somersaulting 18-wheelers give you your share of adrenaline. But, they serve more like a build-up to the real show-stealers – the plot and the performances. This movie’s got everything. And as clichéd as that sounds, it’s true, at least this once. It’s got its fair share of wity one-liners; and then there are those lines that you’ll probably remember forever ( “You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain”). And above everything and everyone, its got Christopher Nolan. How many directors would end a superhero movie with the hero deciding to become a villain? And forget the kiss between the leading man and his love interest. Nolan kills his leading lady, but not before making her profess her love for the leading man’s romantic rival. I could go on and on with this. But I think I should stop. What the heck, for one last time…this IS the BEST MOVIE EVER!!

4 comments:

Debs said...

Why so serious?

Jishu said...

Lets put a smile on that face.

Tiger Lily said...

=)

Doubletake, Doublethink. said...

start writing again bloody !#@$@!#%!$#er.